Hill Roundhouse Railway Centre.
Some of the locomotives housed at the Barrow Hill Roundhouse Railway
Centre are visible from the walk. Opened to the public in 1998, the
Engine Shed Society maintains a collection of over 60 steam and diesel
locomotives and hold open weekends in April, July, October and Christmas.
or 01246 472450.
Built by James Brindley between 1771 and 1777, the 46-mile-long canal
linked Chesterfield with the River Trent at West Stockwith. Various
cargoes were transported, most famously the stone used to build the
Houses of Parliament, which was quarried from North Anston. Commercial
traffic ceased in 1962. The section between Chesterfield and Worksop
is subject to ongoing restoration. The towpath forms the Cuckoo Way.
Though rarely walked in its entirety, sections of the route are well
used by local walkers and cyclists.
Sutton Scarsdale Hall.
The Earl of Scarsdale built the house in the eighteenth century. In
1820 it passed to the son of cotton-spinning pioneer Sir Richard Arkwright.
Sadly, the mansion was stripped and gutted after a property speculator
purchased it in 1919. It is now in the care of English Heritage.
Five Pits Trail.
The 5½-mile trail once formed part of the Great Central Railway
and the branch lines serving the pits at Grassmoor, Williamthorpe,
Holmewood, Pilsley and Tibshelf. A free leaflet to the Five Pits Trail,
published by Derbyshire County Council Countryside Service, is widely
Stone Edge Chimney.
Situated 150 yards off the route. The chimney was built in the late
eighteenth century, restored in 1979, and is believed to be the oldest
standing chimney in Britain. It stands in an attractive moorland setting
beside a pond.